- Infinity Sola wood flower. The size will depend on how big or small you want, but I used the 2.5 inch size. I like to purchase my flowers from https://ohyourelovely.com/ and https://www.luvsolaflowers.com/ but if you are just trying them, you can also purchase them from Amazon. Just note that the quality is not as good.
- Orange acrylic paint
- Stick or other item of your choice for the stem.
- Magnet. I purchased my pack of magnets from Dollar Tree.
- Water from the tap
- Old container to mix water and paint. Small cottage cream or sour cream containers work great.
- Somewhere to set your flower to dry. I use an old egg carton.
- Hot glue gun and glue
- Vegetable glycerin to soften the flower and make it less brittle.
This is a pretty simple craft. I first mixed my acrylic paint, water, and vegetable glycerin in my old plastic container. A good water to glycerin ratio is 4 cups of water to ½ cup of glycerin. Feel free to adjust this to make smaller portions. You can also save this water and glycerin mixture for later uses, just make sure to mix it very well before each use. Once you have you water and vegetable glycerin mixture you can add your acrylic paint. The vegetable glycerin is not necessary, but it is nice to add since it makes your flowers less brittle and softer. For the acrylic paint I just add paint till it looks good. I never measure this. If you do not add enough paint, then you can always dip your flowers a second or even third time, till you get the coating you want.
Now dip your flower completely into your paint, water, and vegetable glycerin mixture. Make sure all sides are covered in the paint. I also like to take a paint brush and paint the paint mixture into all the layers of the petals. I do not want any of the natural wood color to show. Now leave your flower out to dry. I let my flowers dry overnight. I also put the lid on my leftover paint mixture and save it. It will last a few days like this. Then the next day when my flowers are dry, I will look them over and see if there are any spots that need touching up. This is why it is nice to keep the leftover paint mixture. This way you do not have to make more, and you know it is the same color and shade. Just make sure to stir your paint mixture before reusing it.
Once your flowers are covered/painted to your liking and fully dry it is time to attach the magnet and stem. I used a piece of twig I found outside for my pumpkin stem. I then just hot glued it to my flower. I then took a magnet and hot glued it to the back of my flower. I thought about adding a leaf to my pumpkin, but I thought it made it look like an apple. If you paint these flowers red instead of orange, and add a leaf next to the stem, they would make great apple magnets for teacher gifts.
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.